Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Let's Not Get Caryed Away


Yes, I may be a nobody, but I can be just as cheesy as a somebody. The title refers to a comment left by one of my die hard fans (if one can have such fans after their first day in the blog world). She is apparently infatuated with Cary Grant and wants to marry him in the past. Even though it is not January 18th (the day Cary was born), I will oblige with some of my thoughts.

First off, I will admit that up until a few months ago I was not a Cary Grant fan. I definitely understood why women were attracted to him, but was a bit lost as to his acting abilities. I, of course, enjoyed To Catch a Thief (1955) and North by Northwest (1959), but everyone knows that the greatness of Hitchcock's films has little to do with the actors talents. The more popular films (in their day) of Mr. Grant did not tickle my funny bone and therefore I found no reason to invest any more of my time in his career. I am referring to such films as Bringing Up Baby (1938), His Girl Friday (1940) and Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) just to name a few. Recently, however, thanks to the wonders of Turner Classic Movies and DVR I have been given the opportunity to watch more Cary Grant films at my convenience at no cost (I choose to forget about the large cable bill that deducts from my bank account every month). My television graciously recorded My Favorite Wife (1940) and That Touch of Mink (1962) and kept it for me until I had sufficient time to watch them. My Favorite Wife was enjoyable due to the comedic concept and the love triangle that exists between Cary, Randolph Scott and Irene Dunne. I finally saw the comedic timing that Cary possessed (maybe I was just too immature to appreciate it before). I wont divulge too much about the movie because I recommend seeing it. The other film, That Touch of Mink, was less enjoyable (in most roles Doris Day annoys me) due to his female counterpart, but Cary was excellent. His portrayal of an extravagantly wealthy business man was likeable and quite fun to identify with. Unfortunately, this was one of Cary's last films, but for me there are many more to see.

I encourage my readers to throw some Cary Grant recommendations at me because I am always open to seeing movies. As for the aforementioned die hard fan, Cary Grant had five wives and apparently shared a house with Randolph Scott which drummed up lots of publicity and questions. I will conclude this entry with a trivia question (I assume that those who answer will do so from their own knowledge bank and not search the internet beforehand): Who is the mother of Cary's only child? A daughter named Jennifer Grant...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cary Grant, eh? I suggest The Awful Truth and The Philadelphia Story - Jeremy

Rachael said...

Ben,

Thank you for talking about Cary, (my husband if I could time travel). I have recommendation for you...Holiday...Very young Cary Grant with a very young Kate Hepburn...Fun movie!

Ben Miller said...

Jeremy-
Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen both of those films. I enjoyed The Awful Truth, but found myself quite bored throughout The Philadelphia Story (that was quite a few years ago so maybe I should give it another try). Enjoyed married life!

Rachael-
Not to burst your bubble (I guess my subtle hints were not enough), but I think Mr. Grant might've been a homosexual. However, thanks for the recommendation and I plan to rent Holiday in the near future.

Ben Miller said...

Trivia answer (for those who care): Dyan Cannon